Estate Planning Tips for Women
Planning an estate can be a uniquely challenging task and most people are fairly unaware of the avenues and options available to them when doing so. Women are more likely to have to deal with the pressure of making plans for their estate. The reason being, women statistically have longer life expectancy than men, meaning they are usually left with the management of the estate and the expectations of children and grandchildren.
Thankfully, there are knowledgeable and experienced Des Plaines estate planning attorneys available that can provide help with making estate planning decisions.
For women who are thinking about making an estate plan, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- No plan is a bad plan – Without an estate plan, your assets will be subject to estate laws that may or may not deliver your assets to the desired individuals.
- Make sure you account for personal items – If you want your personal heirlooms distributed to the right people, make sure to do this along with your plans to distribute retirement funds and inheritance money.
- Create a trust – A trust allows you to exercise greater control over the distribution of your assets.
- Appoint people you trust – When you are choosing people to handle your estate, make sure they are people who you know can handle the responsibility of being a trustee to an estate.
- Make sure you have the right titles for your assets – It would be advisable to go over your assets with a Des Plaines estate planning lawyer to make sure you are naming your assets correctly so that when your assets are distributed, they are distributed correctly. The last thing you want is for your beneficiaries to struggle over how to correctly distribute assets.
Above all, it is important that if you have any questions or confusion about planning your estate, that you consult with an experienced Des Plaines estate planning attorney.
How Can Des Plaines Estate Planning Attorneys Help Me?
Des Plaines estate planning attorneys at the firm of MacDonald, Lee & Senechalle, Ltd. have had decades of experience in estate planning law. If you are thinking about planning your estate, we would be proud to help you go through the important steps toward creating a solid estate plan that will be executed according to your wishes. To talk to a Des Plaines estate planning lawyer today, contact our offices.